Rap legend LL Cool J headlines the 2017-18 Caribbean edition of Fun Ashore, Onboard Media’s annual magazine for guests of Carnival Cruise Line.
Carnival and Onboard chose to feature LL Cool J for several reasons. He’s a major star who’s popular with the young, hip guests who sail on Carnival, and he’s having a great year, including being the first hip-hop artist named to the prestigious Kennedy Center Honors. His Spike TV show, Lip Sync Battle, is a hit — and Carnival just happens to have a live version, Lip Sync Battle Carnival, produced in partnership with Spike TV.
The feature article was produced in cooperation with LL Cool J’s PR team, who also provided the images. They made only minimal changes to the story we wrote.
The magazine was published in five versions, aligned to the cruise line’s itineraries. Working with Onboard’s art directors and our partners at Carnival, I planned the contents; assigned features to freelance writers; wrote some copy myself; and managed all editorial through final production, including getting approval from both Carnival and LL Cool J.
Other content includes:
- “Behind the Curtain” (freelance written), about Carnival’s onboard entertainment
- “Carnival Adventures” (written by me), on the cruise line’s new approach to shore excursions
- “The Fun Shops” (written by me), focusing on what’s new in the onboard retail program
- “Fun Takes” (staff and freelance written), miscellaneous news from the fleet
- Destinations guide (staff and freelance written)